Second Graders Love RWS! (from Fall, 2019)
Nov 05, 2019 | Uncategorized
Wow! Time flies when you're having fun!! That was the Second Grade motto for the first trimester. It's hard to believe we are already in November! Some of the highlights we've experienced are: a field experience to Eckert's, a field trip to Litzsinger Road Ecology Center to study native prairie plants, Glendale Fire Department visiting for Fire Safety Month, Grandparents' Day, and a school-wide Halloween Parade! Here are some things the Second Graders have been engaged with:
- Students learned various subjects through hands-on instruction.
- Reading for details
- Reading about how different places affect us, and how we can be active members of making our community a better place
- Spelling words (Third Grade curriculum) that focus on short and long vowels, abstract vowels, and consonant digraphs... Whew!!
- Speaking and Writing, using complete sentences
- Identifying the naming and action part of a sentence, using conjunctions and prepositions, and distinguishing between common and proper nouns
- Distinguishing between the four types of sentences: telling, commanding, asking, and exclaiming
- Daily 5 to become better readers and writers, while also allowing for student choice of books across a variety of genres
- Singapore Math- Adding and subtracting three digit numbers with regrouping
- Studying math facts to increase automatic recall
- Showing responsibility with both our younger PK and First Grade Buddies
- Project- Second Graders worked with First Grade on a mini Project about apple orchards. They went on a field experience to Eckert's to ask questions to an expert, see an actual apple orchard, and pick apples to make their own apple pies, apple crisp, and applesauce.
- Project- First and Second Graders began a Project on grocery stores. They brainstormed a 100 word-web, categorized the 100 word-web, invited an expert from Dierbergs in to speak to them, and generated meaningful interview questions for the community expert. During Project, students are learning about helping others, kindness, and empathy.
- Multiple STEM activities to activate problem solving skills, collaboration, and teamwork
- Dissection of pumpkins- Students estimated height, circumference, and seed count. They then measured for circumference, height, counted seeds, and dissected a pumpkin
- Students continued to work on team building, collaboration, compromising, and problem-solving skills.
- Social Studies- Students created their own Oceanside city maps. They used a map key, symbols, a map grid, scales, among other map concepts.
Second Graders worked hard to be kind, compassionate, and academically successful during this trimester! Stay tuned for more exciting news from the Second Graders at Rohan Woods!
- Ms. Coleman
Schedule a School Tour or Request Info