First Graders were busy during January! There were so many exciting things that happened this month. Students were thrilled to have the Ladue News photograph First through Third Grade, in reference to our Rohan Woods Shoppers Project! First Graders also enjoyed completing a TRICKY and exciting puzzle, writing and illustrating How to Build a Snowman paragraphs, becoming pen pals, and doing brainteasers.
Here are some of the things our First Graders have been working on during the month of January:
- Reading workbook pages independently
- Starting NEW Open Court Reading books, with interesting stories
- Reading with expression and fluency, both independently and in small groups
- Students began new Reading Comprehension Journals, where they must write in complete sentences
- Listening to books on audio to strengthen auditory comprehension
- Spelling words (Second Grade curriculum) that focus on consonant blends: l and r, dipthongs:oi and oy, inflectional endings: -s and -es, as well as inflectional endings: -ed and -ing spelling patterns
- Word Work involving stamps, tiles, and sand
- Becoming strong writers, while increasing stamina
- Self-checking written work for punctuation, spelling, and capital letters
- Began My Story Journals, where students are able to independently write and illustrate various stories
- How to Build a Snowman writing (prewriting/rough draft, editing, and publishing phases) with snow globe illustrations (using markers and shaving cream)
- Creative writing- students drew any picture they wanted, then found out they had to write a story about the picture
- Singapore Math- Addition and subtraction facts to 20, Length, Cumulative Review
- Measuring our School- students measured various objects around the Great Hall, using units as measurements
- It’s a Small World After All! Postcard Project continues! Students enjoy putting new push pins in the map, reading postcards from around the world, and learning about the world around them!
- Showing patience, responsibility, and leadership qualities with both our younger EC Buddies and Senior Kindergarten Math Buddies
- Project- First Graders worked with Second and Third Grade to solve brainteasers! (January was Brainteaser Month!) Students worked to problem solve, use teamwork, kindness, and perseverance to solve the puzzles.
- Project- First through Third Grade participated in team building games, as well as a Math Tournament (learning about brackets, math skills, being fair, and empathetic)
- In Social Studies, First Graders became pen pals!!! Whooo-hooooo! Our pen pals are located in Vermont!
- Students continued to work on team building, collaboration, compromising, and problem-solving skills.
- Archie the Eagle continues to travel home with one lucky First Grader each weekend! The student picked to bring Archie home must write about their time with Archie in an Adventures with Archie journal! First Graders must include the following in their writing: name, date, title, juicy words and details.
- Keeping an eye out for random acts of kindness, completing acts of kindness, and filling our Kindness is Cooler board with kindness hearts!
First Graders learned so much during January! Stay posted to see what February brings for First Grade!
– Ms. Coleman