First Graders are thankful for a wonderful November! The highlight of our month was the Breakout Box that we did with Second Grade!
Here are some of the things our First Graders have been working on during the month of November:
- Independently reading workbook directions
- Strengthening comprehension skills while reading
- Listening to books on audio to strengthen auditory comprehension
- Spelling words (Second Grade curriculum) that focus on long a: a-consonant-e, ai, ay; long e: ee, ea; and long i: y, and i-consonant-e spelling patterns
- Sand, letter tiles, and shaving cream were used for Word Work to practice spelling words
- Writing for a variety of purposes and building stamina while writing during Daily 5, Work on Writing
- Using transition words while writing, such as next, then, lastly
- Thanksgiving placemat glyphs to collect data were a hit!
- Proper writing mechanics, such as: correct letter formation and sizing, appropriate spacing, and the use of punctuation
- Singapore Math- Plane and solid shapes
- Social Studies- map skills, cardinal directions, and following a guide to create their own zoo map
- Showing patience, responsibility, and leadership qualities with both our younger EC Buddies and Senior Kindergarten Math Buddies
- Project- First Graders continued to work with Second Grade for the Food Pantries and Other Donations project. Students selected a department to create, based on interest. Students then collaborated with members of their group to generate supply lists and create posters. The students also wrote letters to parents, inviting them to the big culmination in December! Stay tuned!!
- Students continued to work on team building, collaboration, compromising, and problem-solving skills.
- Archie the Eagle continues to travel home with one lucky First Grader each weekend! The student picked to bring Archie home must write about their time with Archie in an Adventures with Archie journal! First Graders must include the following in their writing: name, date, title, juicy words and details.
First Graders enjoyed learning new things during the month of November! Stay posted to see what December brings for First Grade!
– Ms. Coleman